Love cheeseburgers? This cheeseburger pie is made with all of your favorite cheeseburger ingredients but made in a casserole dish. Serve it alone or on a bun. Either way it is delicious.
Easy Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
Cheeseburger pie is the love child of a casserole and a cheeseburger and we are in love with it. You bake all of your favorite cheeseburger fixings in a casserole dish and then serve it on a burger bun with other delicious cheeseburger toppings.
what we love about this recipe
- It’s a great recipe to serve a crowd!
- You can easily add in other burger ingredients to this cheeseburger casserole do make it your own.
- Serve this cheeseburger casserole on burger buns or scoop it up with potato chips.
- Ground beef: beef adds a rich meaty flavor to the pie–I’m using 80/20 but feel free to use what you have on hand. Or swap it for ground turkey or chicken!
- Onion and garlic: onion and garlic add earthiness and additional flavor to the pie. Feel free to swap them for 1 teaspoon granulated garlic and onion if you prefer.
- Burger seasoning: seasoning is a great way to add smoky flavor to the pie. We are using GrillMatesHamburger seasoning–but use whatever you have on hand.
- Rosemary: we love the earthiness of rosemary with burgers, but thyme or sage would be delicious too!
- Milk: milk helps create a batter that holds the pie together. I’m using whole milk for added richness but 2% and skim would work as well.
- Large eggs: eggs help bind the pie together–they also add even more richness and moisture.
- Baking mix: baking mix is a great shortcut for this pie batter. Feel free to use a homemade baking mix substitute if you prefer.
- Cheddar cheese: I love cheddar cheese with cheeseburgers but you could use pretty much any cheese you like!
How to Make Cheeseburger Pie
- Cook the beef and onion together until fully cooked in a large skillet. Drain off any excess beef drippings and then add the beef to a casserole dish.
- Mix the milk, bisquick, and eggs in a bowl and pour it over the ground beef mixture until the beef is coated.
- Top the casserole with cheddar cheese and bake the cheeseburger casserole at 400ºF for 25-28 minutes.
Tips + Variations
If you would like this pie to have a crust, feel free to use your favorite store bought or homemade recipe–just pour the pie ingredients into the crust instead of a greased pan.
You can make this recipe just as unique as your favorite burgers–try mixing it up with any of the flavors below!
Bacon and Blue Cheese: add 1 cup of crisp bacon bits to the beef mixture inStep 4 and swap the cheddar cheese for 4 ounces of crumbled blue cheese.
BBQ Burger: add ¼ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce to the beef after draining the grease but before you add it to the pie pan.
Turkey Burgers: swap the ground beef for ground turkey
Store this cheeseburger casserole in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Yes, bisquick cheeseburger pie casserole can be frozen. Let the casserole cook completely before covering the casserole with tin foil and freeze it for up to 3 months.
To reheat the casserole, preheat the oven to 350ºF and place the casserole in the oven covered and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the casserole and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the middle is hot.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon burger seasoning
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup bisquick baking mix
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- shredded lettuce
- dill pickles
- diced onions
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a 9” pie dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef. Break the ground beef into small pieces as you stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or just until the beef begins to brown.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (about ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper).
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the ground beef is browned and the onion is soft. Add the garlic, burger seasoning, and rosemary and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain any grease. Pour the beef onion mixture into the bottom of the greased pie dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and bisquick until smooth. Pour the batter over the beef. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the pie is set in the center.