Welcome to one of your new favorite things: this cheesy corn casserole! Unlike your average creamy corn casserole, this perfect side dish uses cream cheese to give it the most delicious flavor. Just mix everything up, assemble it in your greased baking dish, and bake. Easy!
There’s something about creamy sweet corn that just melts all your troubles away, and we guarantee this easy corn casserole recipe will hit the spot! Sweet corn kernels are combined with sharp cheddar cheese and a mixture of sour cream, spices, and the best part: cream cheese!
The cream cheese gives this delicious recipe a ton of flavor while also making it ultra-creamy. Then it’s topped off with a box of jiffy mix for a comforting cornbread topping. What a crowd pleaser… am I right?
Cheesy Corn Casserole Recipe – What You’ll Need
- Cream cheese: be sure to soften your cream cheese before using it for easy mixing.
- Sour cream: sour cream helps make the texture of this corn casserole just right.
- Shredded cheddar cheese: there’s nothing like the taste of cheddar and corn together!
- Frozen corn: we kept it simple and used frozen corn for this recipe.
- Jiffy Cornbread Mix: this gives the cheesy corn casserole a delicious cornbread topping.
- Electric mixer: an electric mixer ensures that the cream cheese mixture is mixed thoroughly.
- 9×13-inch baking dish: be sure to use this size to ensure everything cooks evenly.
Substitutions & Variations
Sour cream: Greek yogurt can be subbed for sour cream.
Cheese: switch up the flavor of the cheese and use colby jack, Monterey Jack, muenster, or Gouda. You can even do a mix!
Corn: swap out the frozen corn for fresh corn or canned corn. Just make sure you adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Add-ins: create more depth of flavor by adding fresh herbs like green onions, extra veggies like onions, or protein like ground beef or ham.
Make it spicy: add some heat to your cheesy corn casserole by adding sliced jalapeños to the top before baking or mince one jalapeño and add it to the corn mix.
Cheesy Corn Casserole for Meal Prep
Absolutely! Preparing this cheesy corn casserole ahead of time can make it even easier to enjoy your next dinner or potluck. Pre-baking the dish ensures all the flavors have time to meld together and makes for a quicker and easier reheat.
To pre-bake: Follow the recipe instructions up until baking, then let the casserole fully cool. Once cooled, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What is the difference between cornbread and corn casserole?
The difference between cornbread and corn casserole is that while both contain corn, the main base of cornbread is a simple combination of flour, cornmeal, sugar, milk, and butter.
A Corn Casserole, on the other hand, puts a unique spin on this classic recipe by combining a buttery cornbread base with sour cream, milk, cheese, and corn to create an ultra-moist, creamy texture with a golden crust.
Why is my corn casserole soupy?
If your corn casserole is too soupy, it’s likely due to having too much moisture in the dish. Since this recipe uses frozen corn and not creamed corn, you don’t have to worry about that extra liquid. Just make sure if you use canned corn that you fully drain it before adding it to the other ingredients.
Store any leftover cheesy corn casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
We don’t recommend freezing this recipe, as the corn was already frozen before, and cream cheese does not freeze well.
This easy cheesy corn casserole makes for a great side dish or main dish. If you’d like to serve this tasty meal with other flavors, we highly recommend anything with chili! This Best Beef Chili or Chili Mac and Cheese are drool-worthy.
All of these recipes can be found on our sister site, Fit Foodie Finds.
Cheesy Corn Casserole
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 20 oz. frozen corn
- 8.5 oz. Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder into a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix to combine.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and corn into the cream cheese mixture and fold together so that everything is combined evenly. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cornbread mix, egg, and milk. Then, transfer the corn mixture into the baking dish.
- Spread the cornbread mix evenly over the top. It will not cover completely edge to edge, just spread as evenly as possible on top of the corn.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and cooked through.
- Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make this spicy by adding sliced jalapeños to the top before baking or mince one jalapeño and add to the corn mix.
- Any milk can be used in this recipe.
- Greek yogurt can be subbed for sour cream.