This bean and cheese burrito recipe is so easy to make and a lifesaver when you don’t know what to pack for lunch! We’ll show you how to freeze them for later, too.
You’ll Love this Bean and Cheese Burrito
These easy bean and cheese burritos are seriously one of our favorite go-to recipes for meal prep! Why?
- Enjoy them right away
- Freeze for later
These super flavorful burritos are such a great lunch or dinner solution for you and the fam.
We’ll walk you through how to make a batch of these amazing burritos, and then how to either wrap and freeze them for later or enjoy immediately 😀
Bean and Cheese Burrito Ingredients
You’re 5 ingredients away from these delicious bean and cheese burritos! You’ll need:
- 8-inch flour tortillas
- Canned refried beans
- Salsa (any kind will do — feel free to use your favorite!)
- Taco seasoning (store-bought or homemade)
- Shredded Mexican cheese
add some veggies!
If you have other veggies on hand, you can absolutely use them in your bean and cheese burritos. Here are some other options to add:
- diced bell peppers
- diced sweet potato
- sliced jalapeños
- canned black beans
How to Make a Bean and Cheese Burrito
Lay out each tortilla flat on a working surface, and sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese in the middle of each tortilla.
Make Refried Bean Mixture
In a bowl mix together the refried beans, salsa, and taco seasoning. Transfer the mixture into a gallon size bag and snip off one corner of the bag. Pipe out ¼ cup of refried beans onto each tortilla.
Roll each burrito by folding 2 opposite sides in and then rolling from top to bottom.
Heat Burrito or Freeze for Later
Now’s the time to either heat your burrito to enjoy immediately, or wrap and freeze for later. We’ll walk you through how to do both below.
Heating a Bean and Cheese Burrito
Now that you have your bean and cheese burritos all assembled, it’s time to heat them up to melt-y delicious perfection. You can do this in either the the oven or on the stovetop. We’ll walk you through both!
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, place the burrito in a pan and let the burrito brown for 2-3 minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Remove from the stove top and enjoy with your favorite toppings. We love to cut our burritos in half to allow them to cool a bit before biting into.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and spray a casserole dish or baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the burritos on the baking sheet or casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Feel free to make a whole pan if you’re serving a group, or just one or two!
- Bake the burritos for 10-15 minutes or until the burritos begin to brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy with your favorite toppings. We love to cut our burritos in half to allow them to cool a bit before biting into.
Freeze for Later
These burritos can be frozen for later, making them super great for meal prep. Here’s how:
- Wrap each individual burrito in a piece of tin foil and remove as much air as possible. Pro tip: write “bean and cheese burrito” and today’s date on the tin foil, so you know exactly what’s wrapped up in the foil as well as how long it has been frozen.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat
These bean and cheese burritos can be reheated from frozen OR thawed, so choose your own adventure here!
If heating from frozen, unwrap and place the bean and cheese burrito on a plate and then into the microwave. Use the defrost setting on your microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, flipping every minute. Then microwave on high for 60-90 seconds or until hot.
If heating from thawed, microwave on high for 60 to 90 seconds.
Toppings for Bean and Cheese Burritos
Have fun with your bean and cheese burrito toppings! We love topping ours with any (or all!) of the following:
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- hot sauce
- shredded lettuce
- avocado slices or guacamole
- pico de gallo
- enchilada sauce
Bean and Cheese Burrito
- 8 taco size flour tortillas ~8-inches
- 1 16 oz. can refried beans
- ¼ cup salsa any kind
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning store bought or homemade
- 8 oz. shredded Mexican cheese blend ~2 cups
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Lay out each tortilla flat on a working surface.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese in the middle of each tortilla.
- In a bowl mix together the refried beans, salsa, and taco seasoning. Transfer the mixture into a gallon size bag and snip off one corner of the bag.
- Pipe out ¼ cup of refried beans onto each tortilla.
- Roll each burrito by folding 2 opposite sides in and then rolling from top to bottom. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil over medium heat. Place 4 burritos into the skillet seam side down. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, flip and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite condiments.