Experience autumn bliss with this delicious pumpkin mousse! Unlike traditional mousse, we used cream cheese to make it all the more rich and creamy.
It’s a delicious and easy fall dessert that’ll have all the pumpkin lovers swooning.
If you’ve been craving pumpkin spice everything but don’t want to spend a pretty penny at Starbucks or make an entire pumpkin pie at home, this pumpkin mousse recipe calling your name! It’s a fluffy dessert with the best flavor, AND it can be whipped up and ready to eat in no time.
Of course we used cream cheese to make it THAT much better. To make this pumpkin mousse, just whip up the mousse, let it chill, make your homemade whipped cream, and put it all together.
What You Need to Make Easy Pumpkin Mousse
- Cream cheese: the secret ingredient that makes this mousse super rich and creamy.
- Canned pumpkin puree: adds a creamy texture and delicious pumpkin flavor.
- Pumpkin pie spice: pumpkin spice takes the fall flavors to a whole new level!
- Heavy cream: this gives the mousse a lovely whipped, airy texture. It is also used for making the whipped cream topping.
- Shaved chocolate: the perfect topping to make this dessert even better.
- Hand mixer: you’ll need a hand mixer so your mousse is perfectly light and fluffy.
Variations and Substitutions
Pumpkin puree: You’re welcome to make your own homemade pumpkin puree instead of using canned.
Pumpkin pie spice: If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you likely already have the spices for it at home! The spices needed for pumpkin pie spice are in the “FAQ” section below.
Add a “crust”: adding a graham cracker crust element to the base of the mousse would be delicious. Just crush up some graham crackers at the bottom of your serving dish and place the mousse on top before serving. Or, buy a premade pie crust and just place the mousse on top!
Toppings: Swap out the chocolate shavings for roasted pecans or walnuts. Or, add crumbled gingersnap cookies, toffee bits, Oreos, or graham crackers for something more unique.
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to soften cream cheese to the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
What is pumpkin mousse made of?
Pumpkin mousse is a simple no-bake dessert with the perfect combination of creamy and sweet. It is made with a mixture of whipped cream, sugar, pumpkin puree, and warm spices. Our pumpkin mousse is extra special because we use cream cheese to give it an even richer, creamier taste.
What is pumpkin pie spice made of?
What is IN pumpkin spice that makes it so addictive, you ask? Well, pumpkin spice is a mixture of spices, typically cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Sometimes allspice is added too. You can either buy the pre-mixed blend or make your own DIY version at home.
What are the most common mistakes when making mousse?
If you’re a first-time mousse maker, there are some common mistakes to avoid. The most common is failing to whip the ingredients properly. This ensures everything is properly mixed together, which gives the mousse its signature light and fluffy texture. You’ll know you did this incorrectly when you end up with a grainy or overly soft mousse.
Storage + Freezer Directions
Store any leftover pumpkin mousse in an airtight container or glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze, place your mousse in an airtight, freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, transfer to the fridge until completely thawed.
This easy pumpkin mousse can be served plain as a large dessert or split into single servings. If you’d like to up the decadence, adding roasted pecans or walnuts would be delicious. You could also sprinkle on some extra pumpkin spice or add other flavors like cinnamon sugar, maple syrup, or caramel.
Can’t get enough fall recipes? Enjoy this airy dessert after one of these delicious pumpkin recipes:
Easy Pumpkin Mousse
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 15 oz. canned pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup shaved chocolate
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the cream cheese, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl and mix using a hand mixer until combined.
- Next, add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar to the bowl. Mix until the heavy cream has thickened and stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- While the mousse is chilling, make the whipped cream topping. Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. About 2 or 3 minutes.
- Top the mousse with the whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Tips & Notes
- This can be served as a large dessert or split into single servings. The pumpkin mousse roughly yields 5 cups.
- If making ahead of time, wait until ready to serve, or close to that time, to make the whipped cream topping.