This creamy mushroom chicken is such a great comfort food! The juicy chicken breast is first cooked in bacon fat before getting doused in an addictive creamy sauce that will bless any side on the dinner table it touches. The best part? It’s cooked all in one skillet for easy cooking and cleanup.
We love one-skillet dinner recipes here at The Cheese Knees! And this creamy mushroom chicken delivers. After one bite, you won’t stop thinking about the rich and creamy mushroom sauce. It’s made with cream cheese, so if you’re a certified cheesehead like us, you’ll want to slather it on EVERYTHING.
This recipe is made all in one skillet, so it’s super simple to whip up on a busy weeknight. Just cook your bacon and chicken, make your creamy mushroom sauce, add spinach and cream cheese, then slather your chicken in all the goods before topping with bacon! Mmm.
What You Need to Make Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Bacon: we cooked the chicken in the bacon fat and then topped it with the bacon for top-level flavor.
- Chicken breast: chicken and mushrooms make the perfect pair.
- Baby bella mushrooms: we used baby bella mushrooms, but feel free to use your favorite kind.
- Dry white wine: white wine is used to deglaze the pan and adds depth of flavor.
- Fresh spinach: spinach adds a pop of color and gives a nutritional boost to this recipe.
- Cream cheese: the rich, creamy base for the mushroom sauce.
- Cast iron skillet: cast iron skillets are great for cooking the chicken evenly.
Substitutes & Variations for Mushroom Chicken
Bacon: This creamy mushroom chicken would also taste great with some crumbled-up sausage.
Chicken: You’re welcome to use other cuts of chicken, like chicken thighs or chicken cutlets. Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Mushrooms: Swap out the baby bella mushrooms with shiitake, portobello, or cremini mushrooms.
White Wine: Don’t have white wine? Chicken broth or vegetable broth works just as well.
Make it Spicy: Add some heat to your creamy mushroom chicken by adding crushed red pepper, chili flakes, or even sliced jalapeño peppers.
How do you make white meat chicken moist?
To ensure your chicken is tender and juicy, you can always brine it! All you need is water, salt, and a pinch of sugar. With the right brine, your chicken will be full of flavor and perfectly moist.
How do I prevent chicken from sticking to the skillet?
It’s always a bummer when your chicken breaks into pieces while you’re cooking it. To avoid this, allow your chicken to get to room temperature after taking it out of the fridge. Cold chicken is more prone to sticking to the pan. You also want to make sure that you are using cooking oil or butter that is heated up before adding the chicken.
What is the best type of dry white wine to use for chicken?
It depends on the flavor you’re looking for. Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay are two popular choices, as they both work well to bring out the flavor of chicken. Sauvignon Blanc is crisper and has a bright acidity, while Chardonnay is more full-bodied and oaky.
Store any leftover creamy mushroom chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
To freeze, place your chicken in a freezer-safe, airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Note that during the freezing process, the consistency of your cream sauce may change slightly.
The best thing about this creamy mushroom chicken recipe is that the mushroom sauce tastes amazing on and with practically everything. Serve this chicken over our Amazing Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes or Wild Rice, and spoon a generous amount on top for some real indulgence.
You could also pair this comfort food with veggies like our Oven Roasted Asparagus, Roasted Broccoli, or Air Fryer Zucchini Fries. By the way, all these recipes can be found on our sister site, Fit Foodie Finds!
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ large white onion minced
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2 packed cups fresh spinach ~2.5 oz.
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 5-8 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Put the skillet with the bacon fat back on the stove.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and slice in half horizontally. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Heat the skillet with the bacon fat to medium heat. Fry the chicken breast for 3-4 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the skillet once the internal temperature reaches 165ºF and set aside.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and add the onion and mushrooms. Cook for 8-10 minutes. The mushrooms should reduce in size by half. If there is not enough bacon fat to cook the onions and mushrooms, add in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring the white wine into the skillet. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and cook until it has completely wilted.
- Next, add the cream cheese to the pan and stir until melted.
- Add the chicken to the pan and slather it with the creamy mushroom sauce. Top with bacon and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Use chicken or vegetable broth as a substitute for the wine. This would be great served with pasta or mashed potatoes.