- 1 lb. ground Italian pork sausage
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 28-oz. crushed tomatoes
- 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 6 oz. fresh spinach
- 1.5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh herb bundle, 8 sprigs fresh thyme + 8 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 15-oz. box lasagna noodles, broken up into pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- When the water is at a rolling boil, add broken up lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (about 8 minutes).
- Strain water from the pasta and rinse with cold water. Set noodles aside.
- Next, heat a separate large pot over medium/high heat. Add ground beef and ground Italian sausage to the pot and cook the meat until it’s almost all the way brown (about 5 minutes).
- Remove meat from the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving the juice from the meat in the bottom of the pot.
- Turn heat to medium heat and add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot. Sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and green pepper to the pot, stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with red wine and stir.
- Finally, add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, the rest of the salt and all the dried spices to the pot and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and add the meat back into the pot along with the spinach and fresh herb bundle.
- Let the soup simmer on low for 10-20 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, add the ricotta, mozzarella , parmesan, and fresh herbs to a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Once the soup has simmered, add the noodles to the pot and stir.
- Finally, ladle the soup into bowl and top each bowl with 1/4-1/3 cup of the cheese mixture. Stir and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1/8
Category: DinnerMethod: Stove TopCuisine: Italian