- 15-oz. fresh Ricotta cheese, pressed dry
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1-oz. Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour + more for rolling
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a rolling boil and add enough salt so that it tastes like the ocean.
- To prepare the ricotta cheese, drain away any excess liquid, then press the ricotta between a few layers of paper towel to remove any remaining moisture. The ricotta should be quite dry before you proceed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, egg yolks, Parmigiano, and salt. Whisk together until just combined. Add in the ¾ cup flour, and using a wooden spoon, stir to combine. Do not overmix or your gnocchi will be tough. The dough should be a bit sticky, yet hold together well. If it feels too wet, add another tablespoon or two of flour.
- Liberally dust your workspace with some additional flour, and transfer the dough to your counter. Using a knife or a bench scraper, divide the dough into quarters.
- Using your hands, gently roll out each quarter into an even log, keeping enough flour on your workspace so that the dough doesn’t stick. If the log gets too long to handle, divide it in half and continue rolling until you reach ¾-inch wide.
- Cut each log into bite-sized pieces, about ¾-inch long. Lightly dust the gnocchi with flour once more, and toss to gently coat with the flour so that they don’t stick.
- Carefully transfer the gnocchi to the boiling water, shaking off any excess flour before they go in the water. Once the gnocchi float to the top of the boiling water, about 1-1.5 minutes, they are fully cooked!
- Using a slotted spoon or mesh strainer, transfer the cooked gnocchi directly to the sauce they will be served in, or plunge into cold water to stop them from cooking further, and to keep for future use.
- To store: drain off the water and toss in a little olive oil before storing in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 398 Sugar: 4 Sodium: 606 Fat: 24 Carbohydrates: 20 Fiber: 1 Protein: 23 Cholesterol: 189
Category: DinnerMethod: StovetopCuisine: ItalianDiet: Vegetarian
Keywords: ricotta gnocchi