- 1-lb. halloumi, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red bell pepper, trimmed and cut to 1-inch pieces
- 1 small orange bell pepper, trimmed and cut to 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut to 1-inch chunks
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp za’atar spice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice plus more to finish
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Place 6, 6-inch skewers into water and let them sit for about 30 minutes before skewering the ingredients. Set aside.
- Clean and oil your grill to make sure nothing will stick to the grill as it cooks. A paper towel with olive oil works well for greasing the grill slats.
- Cut the halloumi, peppers, and onion into 1-inch chunks and place in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, mint, za’atar, honey, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the marinade over the halloumi and vegetables and toss to coat each piece in the marinade.
- Remove the wooden skewers from the water and begin to thread the halloumi and vegetables on the skewers. You want to divide the vegetables and cheese evenly amongst the skewers, alternating vegetables and cheese as you work.
- Reserve any leftover marinade in the bottom of the bowl for brushing on the skewers as they grill.
- Turn the grill on to medium high and make sure it is fully to temperature before you begin grilling.
- Place the kebabs on the hot grill with enough space between each so that they aren’t touching. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side, brushing with the remaining marinade as they cook.
- Grill the skewers until the cheese has browned and crisped, and the vegetables are just cooked through.
- Serve with a selection of grilled meats, salads, dips, and fresh breads of your choosing for a complete meal, or alone as an appetizer.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 304 Sugar: 8 Sodium: 67 Fat: 22 Carbohydrates: 11 Fiber: 1 Protein: 17 Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: grilled halloumi skewers