- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (or 3/4 cup coconut oil)
- 3/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8-oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 350º and spray an 8×8-inch aluminum cake* pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together cocoa powder and white whole wheat flour and set aside.
- Next, add melted butter and brown sugar to a large bowl and use a handheld mixer to mix together on medium/low (using an electric mixer is important).
- In a separate small bowl, add 3/4 cup of chocolate chips and melt them in the microwave on high for 15 second intervals, stirring and repeating until the chocolate chips are melted. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl with the butter and sugar mixture and mix on low with a mixer until the eggs are combined.
- Add melted chocolate chips and vanilla to the butter mixture and mix on low until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Slowly add the flour and cocoa powder mixture to the bowl with the chocolate mixture and mix on low until combined.
- Finally, fold in the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Transfer the brownie batter into the greased 8×8-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Next, prepare the cream cheese layer. Place the softened cream cheese, sugar, and egg into a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the brownie batter and swirl the two together with a toothpick or a knife so that the two batters are swirled together, but not mixed together.
- Bake the brownies at 350ºF for 22-25 minutes or until you do the toothpick test and it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the brownies sit for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pan.
Tips & Notes
- Make sure to use an aluminum cake pan, not a ceramic baking dish.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/9 Calories: 441 Sugar: 19 Sodium: 103 Fat: 28 Carbohydrates: 44 Fiber: 4 Protein: 5
Category: DessertMethod: OvenCuisine: American