Cookies and Cream Cupcakes are a decadent dessert made with a chocolate Oreo cupcake and cookies and cream frosting.
When in doubt, make cupcakes. That’s our motto! Today we’re sharing a simple, yet delicious Cookies and Cream Cupcakes recipe featuring one of our favorite cheeses – cream cheese.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes – the low down!
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes wouldn’t be cookies in cream if both parts didn’t have cookies in it!
The cupcakes: the base is a basic chocolate cupcake made with an entire cup of crushed Oreo cookies.
The frosting: the frosting is a vanilla cream cheese frosting made with Oreo crumbs to give them the ultimate cookies and cream flare.
Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
It’s always a good idea to have a chocolate cupcake recipe in your back pocket. What’s even better is a chocolate Oreo cupcake in your back pocket, especially for recipes just like this where you need a host for a big pile of cookies and cream frosting!
These chocolate Oreo cupcakes are essentially a basic chocolate cupcake with crushed Oreos in them Here’s what you need:
- All-purpose flour: keeping things light and fluffy with AP flour.
- Granular sugar: white sugar is best for cupcakes.
- Cocoa powder: make sure to buy unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe.
- Baking powder: baking powder is used as the leavening agent.
- Vegetable oil: vegetable oil is nice and light to keep these cupcakes airy and divine.
- Milk: any kind of cow’s milk will work.
- Eggs: this recipe calls for 2 large eggs.
- Vanilla: a hint of vanilla really brings out the chocolatey flavor.
- Oreos: you’ll want about 1 cup of crushed Oreos for the cupcake and even more for the frosting.
- Mix dry: first, combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add wet: next, add in oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk to combine, but don’t over mix! Finally, fold in crushed Oreos and gently mix.
- Transfer batter: fill each muffin liner 3/4 of the way full with cupcake batter.
- Bake: bake the cupcakes at 350ºF for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool: let cupcakes fully cool on a wire rack before frosting.
There are so many varieties of Oreos out that that you can really make these cupcakes your own. Use vanilla, pumpkin, etc.!
Cookies and Cream Frosting
And now for my personal favorite part about these cupcakes –> the cookies and cream frosting! This is a vanilla cream cheese frosting made with crushed Oreos to really get the “cookies” and cream effect.
You need 4 main ingredients to get started:
Butter: make sure to use softened butter and not melted as that can really make or break the texture of the frosting.
Cream cheese: this cream cheese frosting calls for 4-oz of cream cheese. Check out our post on how to soften cream cheese.
Vanilla: feel free to use vanilla extract or the paste from 1/2 of a vanilla bean.
Powdered sugar: powdered sugar makes for the best cream cheese frosting. You can really gauge how thick or thin you want your frosting by adding a little at a time.
Oreo crumbs: unlike crushed Oreos, Oreo crumbs are processed more finely to make them more similar to graham cracker crumbs.
How to Make Cookies and Cream Cupcakes Frosting
- Beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and combine on low speed a little at a time.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add oreo crumbs and mix until combined.
- Transfer to a piping bag and frost cupcakes.
Store cupcakes covered in a cool, dark place for up to 3 days.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- 1.25 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed Oreos
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup Oreo crumbs
- First, preheat the oven to 350F and line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Add the vegetable oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix just until combined-- you don’t want to overmix!
- Add the crushed oreos and fold them in gently.
- Fill each cupcake tin ¾ of the way full (I use a ¼ cup cookie scoop to make sure they’re all the same size). Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean-- about 18-20 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before icing them (below).
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract together on medium speed until smooth and creamy-- about 2 minutes.
- On low speed, add the powdered sugar a little at a time until completely incorporated.
- Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, turn the mixer to high speed and beat until the icing is light and fluffy-- about 2 minutes.
- Add the oreo crumbs and mix until combined.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag fitted with your choice of tip. Ice the cupcakes as desired.
- Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.