- 16-oz. rigatoni pasta
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs*
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium bell peppers, any color, minced
- 1/2 medium purple onion, minced
- 2 24-oz. jars marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. Cook the pasta for 4-6 minutes or until slightly undercooked. The casserole will cook for an additional 20 minutes in the oven.
- Next, whisk the two large eggs together in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, 1 cup parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder and mix.
- Prep chicken by dipping the chicken pieces into the egg wash and then into the parmesan mixture making sure everything is generously coated. Place coated chicken pieces on a plate.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive olive.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, add half of the chicken chunks to the skillet and cook them for 1-2 minutes on each side. Do not fully cook the chicken because it will continue to cook in the oven. Repeat until all the chicken has been browned. Remove from heat.
- Set the chicken aside and then add the last tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the bell peppers and onion to the pan and sauté the peppers and onions for 4-5 minutes. Scrape the brown bits from the chicken from the bottom of the pan to add flavor to the peppers. Remove from heat.
- Finally, add the pasta, partially cooked chicken, bell peppers, onion, and marinara sauce into the casserole dish and mix to combine everything in the sauce
- Place the casserole dish into the oven and bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the last 1 cup of parmesan cheese on the top of the casserole dish and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Finally, remove the casserole from the oven let it cool for 5 minutes and enjoy.
- breadcrumbs: if you are using Italian breadcrumbs, you can omit the other spices.
Serving Size: 1/8
Category: CasseroleMethod: OvenCuisine: Italian